The operators of nuclear power plants in the Federal Republic of Germany have taken technical
and personnel precautions to stabilize a plant following an accident or breakdown,
to analyse the cause and to eliminate the resultant effects. Part of this emergency programme
has been placed in the hands of our organisation.
KHG was founded in 1977 by the companies operating nuclear power plants in Germany,
together with the fuel cycle industry and major research centres.
Our main areas of responsibility are:
- Radiation measurements inside and outside of a nuclear facilities
- Radiation protection monitoring of personnel, especially operational staff
- Recovering of radioactive material, as well as inspection and work at locations with maximum local dose rates,
using remote-controlled manipulator vehicles
- Decontamination of personnel, equipment and enclosed areas
- Filtering waste air with mobile equipment
- Collection of low-level radioactive waste water
- Equipping operational personnel with protective clothing and respiratory devices
The entire KHG staff is incorporated into an emergency on-call service.